15.8.08

I might be a Pin Cushion

This summer I have had Hep A, Typhoid and Yellow Fever vaccines, a TB test, and at least 12 or 13 tubes of blood taken out of my body. Someone called me a pin cushion the other day (I don't remember who) and I thought that was funny. It also might be true. I don't have a problem with needles. Sometimes I freak out a little if they are in my arm too long (or if the vaccine burns and no one warns me, or if the needle is stuck in too far, and when they try to move it they accidentally take it out of my arm and my blood squirts everywhere or when they are trying to take my blood and miss the vein and try to take blood out of what is not the vein and then almost make me pass out) but I usually don't have a problem. I DO, however have a problem when the doctor put in for some tests last month and the fact that I have had my blood taken at least twice since then and they did not run all of the tests that they were supposed to. sheesh. Anyway, the moral of this story is that I am a pin cushion and that I also probably have no couth. I finally went in today to have more blood taken to run the tests that I need for my Cairo application and I wanted to check with every human and computer possible to ensure that they were going to run the correct tests this time. I asked the guy who checks people in to verify what tests they were running. He responded by saying 'they'll tell you when you go back there'. Which is a little strange because I know that they come up on the computer screen when you enter the patient's information. Fast forward a little to me sitting in the chair. The lady goes and gets my labels and I want to be positive that they are running the tests that I need so I ask again. She looks at the labels, looks at me and then very quitely says 'HIV and RRP' (I don't actually remember what she called the second one, but it had R's and P's in it, so that's what I came up with). I respond by saying 'ok, good, but what is that second one for?'. She looked at me for a little while and then told me that she couldn't say it out loud. What? So then I, in all my glory ask in a moderately loud voice 'oooh, is that the one for Syphilis?' She stared at me some more and then took all of the blood out of my whole body (that is probably not true, just some. some of the blood). It wasn't until I was leaving that I realized that people who go in to get their blood tested for HIV and Syphilis probably don't want everyone to know and the lady was probably just trying to respect that. I just know that I don't have HIV or Syphilis and just need proof so that Egypt can know that too before they let me into the country.

Oh also: in case you just skimmed that or got confused, I don't have HIV or Syphilis I just needed to get an official test for my Cairo application. Just thought I would make that clear.

In other news:
* Andrew told me that I was breaking some secret society blogger rules because my header was too big, so he made me a smaller one. That was nice of him.
* I have a dress for the wedding next weekend (it is brown and yellow and white and only $10!), but I need to try and bribe one of my aunts into sewing it up a little bit for me. Although I have created some masterpieces in my day (drawstring cow bag? hello? scrunchies for everyone? hello?) I don't trust myself to do it.
* Today is my last Friday at work and I also just sat through my last graduation and poured my last cup of punch! My coworkers/boss decided to give me a great gift called 'here is at least one infinity hours worth of paper for you to shred' so that was nice. I made an executive decision that Fridays were not created for shredding paper for a lot of hours, so I'm going to start that new and exciting project on Monday.
* Last night was my last Chi Alpha, so that was kinda sad. Tonight I am having dinner with Sara D, so that will be happy!
* The power went out for about ten minutes at my house last night and I FROKE out.
* All Africa prep things are going well and hopefully I will get some more stuff done this weekend.

18 DAYS to AFRICA!

kb

No comments: