26.9.08

7 Months? Harsh. Also Fake Boyfriends...

First of all I need everyone to know that I defeated a bug yesterday that was basically a worm with wings. It makes a terrible buzzing sound and I thought I had already killed it, but apparently it crawled out from under the shoe that I thought defeated it and was buzzing around again at about midnight. I threw my shoe on it and then pressed down on my shoe a few times and did not muster up the courage to look at it and verify its death until this morning. It is still on the floor, dead, under my shoe because that thing is nasty and I do not want to do anything that resembles picking it up off the floor.
Sicky sicky sick- I was feeling tons better this week until the last couple of days when the throat/cough started coming back (hopefully just as a result of the nasty weather we have been having) and my eye decided to swell up yesterday (because why not?) it was still swollen this morning so one of our driver/gardener/maintenance people drove me to the clinic. The nurse says it’s not pink eye or anything contagious, which is so good because I did not want to give it to the kids or spend another week stuck in my room, gave me some ointment and sent me on my way. On the drive back up to the house the driver was asking me about America-how much things cost, cars, politics, sports, etc. then he started asking about my life back home, particularly if I have a boyfriend, etc. I decided that for all practical purposes I need to have an imaginary boyfriend, at least when talking to men in foreign countries. If nothing else, my summer job with foreign students taught me that the answer to the questions ‘do you have a boyfriend?/do you miss your boyfriend?’ should always be yes, so I have a fake boyfriend.
I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it here before, but we have been having some issues with our water. Apparently the guys have been putting in way to many chemicals (they are supposed to put them in once a week and have been putting them in every day, or something like that) so our water has waaay too many chemicals and is kind of gummy or sticky. That being said, my hair looks dirtier and feels way gross after I attempt to wash it in the shower. Rita went into East London and was able to treat herself to a visit to the salon yesterday and It took them 4 washes to get her hair back to normal and the guy who did her hair said that it looked like she hadn’t washed her hair for 7 months. 7 MONTHS! Needless to say I am not washing my hair in the shower anymore. I’ve boiled some water and put it in a big bottle and will probably try and wash my hair with it tomorrow, God only knows how long it will take for my hair to return to something that resembles normal. Luckily, the kids think it is still beautiful, maybe even more beautiful, when it is disgusting.
I finished ‘Through Painted Deserts’ by Donald Miller last night and it is amazing. Seriously read his books. He has a big brain.

Things are still going great and I am still loving life here. The kids will be home all of next week (they are between terms) and we have a new volunteer coming on Thursday! All I know is that she is a girl and that she is from the US and somewhere close to my age. I am SO excited for her to come. Rita is SO busy, so I spend most of my free time and meal times alone, which is good but also starting to drive me crazy. She is an answered prayer on many levels, so yay for her coming!

Love love
kb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hooray for a new volunteer friend! hooray for being less sick. Yuck with the water situation. When I was there- we didn't have the chemicals at all so the water was brown and dirty- i felt good in the shower :) Hopefully that will clear up soon. LOOOOVVEE YOU!

Anonymous said...

is your fake boyfriend's name tom? is he cute? does he have any brothers [that i can get with]?