9.11.08

lizards, toads, 21!

Wow! It has been a while, sorry to all 3 of you who faithfully read my blog : )
Things to mention from the last weeks:


There is a little guard thing at the bottom of my door to keep critters out because my door leads directly outside. Well, that thing is broken. I’m not sure if I mentioned it before, but a toad crawled under my door one night a while ago and just last weekend a lizard came in. The lizard was fast and one of the drivers came in and destroyed my room trying to catch that thing. I was just standing at the door like the pansy girl that I am with some of the kids screaming every time it ran. I’ve started stuffing newspaper under my door every night.


The whole time I have been here I have been responsible for making turkeys. As a thank you to our donors we have been cutting out little turkeys made out of Asekhona’s hand. We finally reached our goal (580, I think). It only took 2 months and made me hate Thanksgiving for liiiife.

We have another volunteer! He is only here for 3 weeks and a friend of Rita’s, it’s fun having so many people here!

I tried driving in town the other day. It did not go well.

I am SO excited for Christmas!

Sive is WALKING! He is one month younger than Endi. The two of them are hilarious together.

Melissa sent me a little kid Cinderella costume for my birthday. She is the best!

I have been able to upload two whole pictures! Here are the links for them:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=36222786&l=2a859&id=5619188
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=36222786&l=2a859&id=5619188
I’m pretty sure the first one is a picture of Endi and the second one is a picture of me and Phelisa from a very long time ago (the time we went to the beach, like the end of September maybe?) We have literally tried every way we can think of to get pictures online and have had no success. We have another thing to try in the next couple of days, cross your fingers!

I am 21! I celebrated my birthday with the kids on Saturday (Asekhona made a killer cake). And then the church people sang to me at church and made me an amazing cake and made me go stand awkwardly in the front and talk. And then it’s hard to explain but basically the lady who owns the store where we buy milk came to visit last weekend with her two daughters (who are 20! Ah! People my age!) and we told them that my birthday was this weekend and they are just too nice. They took us (me, Rita, Tally, Yui) out to a hunting game farm and we had a South African BBQ, which is called something that I cannot remember at this BEAUTIFUL farm. They have 4 rhinos and two of them were up near the house the entire time we were there. They are really goofy looking animals, but it was awesome to see them so close. These people are obsessed with hunting and they have all of their trophies in two rooms and that creeped me out a little bit. Anyway lunch was fabulous and I only had a few sips of what I think was beer mixed with Sprite because 1. I am on a lot of medication and 2. I left to look at the rhinos and when I got back there was a fly drowning in my drink. After lunch the owner of the game farm took us for a drive and we saw ostriches and all kinds of buck and some impala and giraffes! We also looked for the zebras but we could not find them. Their property is HUGE and the animals that we saw were amazing. It was definitely not a shabby way to spend a birthday : )


THANK YOU times infinity for all of the cards, packages, e-mails and messages that helped make my birthday very special. Y’all are the best.
LOVE!
kb

5 comments:

Jaime said...

Awww! Those pictures are adorable!

Plus, Happy Birthday! I can not think of a better way to spend a 21st birthday than with rhinos. :) Except maybe with me...but that's ok. Rhinos are a close second.

Bob said...

I thought it might be about time for a new post and sure enough. Enjoyed the picture! Hope the other episodes of The Office will reach you OK. I know from your email that this is useless, but if your internet access improves, you can find the recent episodes by clicking HERE. Don't let the rhinos and lizards get you, and may the Happy Birthday glow last a while.

Anonymous said...

ahhh! happy birthday!! i am a little upset you weren't intoxicated in africa :). Also, when I was there, that little guard thing was starting to break, but i just pretended it wasn't happening and didn't fix it- you're welcome. Why didn't i get to see rhinos in africa? i wish i was there. i love you! iloveyouu!!

-Sarah

Anonymous said...

You broke it. It was you.

Anonymous said...

Just keep wrking on the driving the more you do it the better.